Gain the knowledge and skills you need to provide soft-tissue therapy! Kinesiology: The Skeletal System and Muscle Function, 4th Edition provides a complete guide to the art and science of musculoskeletal anatomy, movement, and dysfunction treatment.
With more than 1,200 full-color illustrations, the book shows the body’s bones and joints, and how muscles function as movers, antagonists, and stabilizers.
Part I covers the fundamentals of structure and motion. Part II covers the skeletal system, including skeletal and fascial tissues. Part III contains a detailed study of the joints of the body. And finally, Part IV examines how muscles function. Written by noted lecturer and educator Joseph Muscolino, this text includes access to an Evolve website with 150 video clips demonstrating major joint actions of the body as well as muscle palpation.
- Complete atlas of bones, bony landmarks, and joints includes hundreds of full-color illustrations, providing comprehensive coverage of bones not found in other kinesiology books.
- Clear, straightforward explanations of kinesiology concepts cover muscle contraction(s), coordination of muscles with movement, core stabilization, posture, exercise, reflexes, and how the nervous system controls and directs the muscular system.
- Coverage of strengthening exercises and stretching emphasizes the purposes and benefits of stretching and how to perform various stretching techniques.
- Information on posture and the gait cycle includes illustrations of all of the muscles of the human body organized by function.
- Clinical applications challenge students to apply kinesiology concepts to clinical practice.
- Light-bulb and Spotlight boxes discuss applications of the content, including pathologic conditions and clinical scenarios.
- Learning objectives at the start of each chapter include a chapter outline, overview, key terms and pronunciations, and word origins.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of fascia includes new perspectives from all-new contributors, including the role of fascia in movement, stability, and posture.
Dr. Muscolino is a renowned author of several textbooks, which are widely used as core curriculum and clinical practice references. He has also published more than 90 journal articles.
Dr. Muscolino provides a unique curriculum for manual therapists and movement professionals, drawing on his three decades of knowledge and experience. His workshops offer training in a subject that he wished had been available during his early years: the integration of fundamental anatomy and physiology with critical thinking skills. This comprehensive approach is designed to benefit both practitioners and students.